Hey-howdy! So just a few thoughts and musings today, a bit of news, and a couple of new links.
- Caffeine and a new appreciation thereof – so you may remember that way back last June, I was really sick for a while. One of the side effects of that was that I pretty much completely shrugged off my long-standing caffeine addiction. For the past few months, I’ve actually pretty much been drinking tea with coffee on the weekends or when I hang at my local coffee shop for some heavy thinking. Well, I’m just back from a little shopping in Kensington Market where I stopped to get a bag of coffee at Moonbeam Coffee Co. and decided to get a medium coffee to go. Wooowee!! I’m so not used to caffeine anymore! I’m buzzed!
- Shadowstorm – I finally got a chance to sit down with Paul Kemp‘s Shadowstorm, book 2 of The Twilight War. Excellent, excellent! One of the things I’m really enjoying (I may have said this before) is that Paul has picked up something that was introduced in Mistress of the Night (the mysterious book called the Leaves of One Night) and developed it into something really interesting. The other thing I’m particularly liking is seeing how he works up a large scale conflict, since I’m doing something similar in The Doom of Kings and it’s interesting to compare and contrast.
- The Doom of Kings – On this front, the basic news is that I’m working on the revisions and that there are relatively few of them. My editor enjoyed the draft (which is always good!) and had some excellent suggestions for some improvements. The final manuscript is almost in the bag and I’ll soon be turning to book 2, tentatively titled The Word of Traitors. Building links for the entry above also prompted me to check and I see that Amazon now has a bare bones listing for The Doom of Kings on Amazon. Hurray! Let the pre-orders begin!
- New link: Grasping for the Wind – an extensive and rather good fantasy book review blog. I look forward to reading more!
- New link: Bruce Cordell – I’ve enjoyed Bruce’s game design work for a number of years and recently stumbled across his blog. I need to remember to try out his novels sometime as well.
That’s about it for today! We know return you to your regularly scheduled… whatever you were doing. I need to go do dishes before the coffee buzz wears off.